Friday, May 22, 2009

Living Dairy Free

A couple of weeks ago Loc & I visited a doctor who suggested that Loc may have a milk allergy.
This was no surprise to us because of his medical history.
The basis of the decision seems to be around this theory found here at the Mindd Foundation.

"What is “Leaky Gut”?Leaky gut or gut permeability is a condition in which the mucosal lining (gastrointestinal epithelium) of the GI tract has holes in it (often created by candida) . Undigested molecules (such as peptides before they are broken down into amino acids) pass through the holes and into the blood, triggering allergic response to foreign molecules. These foreign invaders can also travel to the brain and cause “brain-fog” as well as attention and behavioural issues. Symptoms of leaky gut include; food sensitivities, fatigue, poor sleep, hyperactivity, irritability, poor concentration, memory issues, mood swings, and muscle and joint pain."

Loc has been put on a strict milk & chocolate free diet for one month.
No milk products, chocolate, cola or casein at all.
We have changed our family meals so that the rest of us are eating the same meals.

It is daunting. I need to think carefully before preparing food and read labels at the supermarket. I need to prepare many things from scratch e.g breadcrumbs.
It would be great to be able to share recipes with another family going through this but I haven't come across anyone yet. Instead I scour the internet.
I will be sharing my dairy free recipes here after we have given them the thumbs up.
Some I have altered from 'normal' recipes and made them dairy-free.

The first one I really must share is a Dairy-Free Cream. Oh my God! Delicious!! You will love it even if you don't have to eat dairy free.

Delicious Vegan Cream from allrecipes.com.au
Serves: 20
Yield: 2 1/2 cups
Ready in: 15 mins ( 15 mins Prep )
This is a delicious vegan, sweet nut cream from my mum which can be used on top of fresh fruit or a pudding. Coconut cream, cashews and maple syrup-make the vegan in your life happy now!
Ingredients
1 cup cashews
1 cup (250ml) coconut cream
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 cup (125ml) soy milk
Preparation method
Combine all ingredients in the container of a blender. Blend until smooth and thick. Transfer to a container and store in the refrigerator. It will thicken even more after a while.


Yummy Apple Pancakes
1 cup Self Raising Flour (I used wholemeal)
1/4 teaspoon bicarb soda
3 tablespoons sugar
1 peeled and grated apple
2/3 cup Soy Milk
1 egg
2 teaspoons Nuttelex (or other butter substitute), melted.
Extra Nuttelex.
Preparation method
Sift flour & bicarb soda.
Stir through grated apple and sugar.
I another bowl combine soy milk, egg & Nuttelex.
Add milk mixture to dry mixture gradually.
Melt extra nuttelex in pan on medium heat.
Add large spoonfuls of pancake mixture to pan.
Cook until holes appear and then flip to cook other side.

We topped out pancakes with the Vegan Cream (above). mmmmmmmmmmm. So good!

No comments: