Sunday, May 9, 2010

A different kind of Me

Most days I catch a glimpse of myself and am surprised by what I see. Do you do that?
I wonder for a moment if it is really me.
I don't like the changes my body has made.
But I wouldn't trade it because they are sacrifices and show that I have lived.

I trade my flat tummy for the miracle of watching my children grow into amazing people who will be an asset to this world and who will enrich the lives of those who love them.

I trade my sleep-ins for the morning hugs with my daughter when we sort out our day and discuss the important things in her life.

I trade my innocence for the courage to trust my instinct in regards to what is right for me and my family.

I trade my skinny arms for the nightly ritual of cuddles before bed which is always followed by multiple requests for "5 more minutes?"

I trade the stamina to party all night for the unconditional friendships that allow for mistakes and bless you with the knowledge that your girlfriends will "have your back" regardless.

I trade my own sporting abilities for the thrill of listening to my son cheer his beloved "Cats" like his life depends on whether of not they win! And he shares his excitement with my Mum & Nan.

I trade perfect eyesight for "Look at me Mum" followed by a showcase of new skills.

I trade small waist for the amazement at how much my child can know by senior school years.

I trade my beautiful smooth, soft hands for the joy of holding the hand of my child to lead the way or to be led on an exciting "adventure".

I trade wrinkle-free skin for the mundane day-to-day tasks of school, lunchboxes, homework, part-time job, driving lessons, AFL, soccer, tennis, tutoring, guitar, singing, and piano ... work, housework, washing, & cooking.

It is a bit of a shock, yes, but it's a fair trade.

Do you agree?

No comments: