Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Blokes & Li'l Fellas

The major part of my job as a Marketing & Events Manager at Magic Mountain is organising events for families to enjoy together at our park.

I was inspired to create an event (which we are holding in February) after reading a book called 'He'll be O.K- Growing Gorgeous Boys into Good Men' by Celia Lashlie. After years of working in the prison service and raising a son of her own, she became a crucial part of the NZ “Good Man Project” during which time she spoke to 180 classes of boys throughout the country and has gone on to speaking around the world about the topic. “He'll be O.K is an International Bestseller.
In her book Celia stresses the importance of boys having good male role models in their lives and that we, the mothers, need to take a step back as our boys head towards adolescence.
The bond between males needs to celebrated and encouraged and this is the basis behind our “Blokes and Lil Fellas Day Out.”

I would like to see Fathers, Sons, Grandfathers, Step Fathers and Mates coming from far and wide to what I hope to be an annual event at Magic Mountain. I would be so excited and to be honest, this event is so important to me, as an individual that I would be so sad if it wasn't successful for any reason. But I'm sure it will be brilliant!

As a Mother I know that there are things that I can't provide for my sons and when they are missing something that I can't provide them, it hurts. Deep in my heart.

So I can only encourage it and then sit back & cross my fingers.

I came across this gorgeous poem today that reminded me of the reason for our special day. It will be hanging on our fridge for a few days.

There are certain dreams I’d cherish that I’d like to see come true.
There are things I would accomplish ere my working time is through.
But the task my heart is set on is to guide a little lad--
To make myself successful as that little fellow’s dad.
It’s the one job that I dream of; it’s the task I think of most.
For if I fail that little fellow, I have nothing else to boast.
For the wealth and fame I’d gather, all my fortune would be sad,
If I fail to be successful as that little fellow’s dad.
I may never be as clever as my neighbor down the street.
I may never be as wealthy as some other men I meet.
But if he who follows after shall be manly, I’ll be glad,
For I’ll know I’ve been successful as that little fellow’s dad.

xx

No comments: